How to use Twitter to find the right scholarship

How to use Twitter to find the right scholarship

Discover Scott, The Scholarsheep, and tips for applying to a scholarship.

Scot is a very clever sheep, and knows that a lot of information is tweeted every day. He has therefore decided to use Twitter to his advantage and especially to yours.

Unlike other sheep, Scott’s main occupation is retweeting, but only Scholarship related tweets.

It is quite a simple task and Scott does the job just fine. But our two new team members (web design trainees) have pushed the idea a little further! Now, Scott has, as well as his own twitter account, his own dedicated website. He is over the moon!

More importantly, now you can follow Scholarship tweets with specific themes. For example, if you are looking for scholarships to go to Europe, Scott now has a dedicated feed for it. He has feeds for numerous different locations, dedicated study fields and degrees!

Now that you can find information about scholarships more easily, it’s time to check the main tips to follow to boost your chances to be granted one.

Tips for Scholarships:

  1. Start searching now, it’s never too soon, and remain organized with deadline reminders
  2. The web isn’t your only option. Look for local scholarships with your guidance counselor if you are lucky enough to have one.
  3. Apply again and again! Check smaller scholarships too, even if they can’t finance all your expenses, they can help you with the first steps.
  4. Don’t forget to personalize every application! Too much copy and pasting won’t do you any favors.
  5. If you are using a matchmaking website, answer to all of the optional questions, it can only raise your match number (it’s the same thing with your HigherEdMe profile by the way 😉 )
  6. And the last one for today: Ask for help, a second pair of eyes to look at all of your applications is always a good idea.

Bonus tip: our post about Scholarships for African students and French Scholarships

4 cities to study in Europe

4 cities to study in Europe

You wish to study in Europe? Here a short list of places where you can go and why:

Warsaw, the capital of Poland, is one of the most affordable European student city.

From wikipedia : Warsaw is one of Europe’s most dynamic metropolitan cities. In 2012 the Economist Intelligence Unit ranked Warsaw as the 32nd most liveable city in the world. In 2017 the city came 4th in the “Business-friendly” category and 8th in “Human capital and life style”. It was also ranked as one of the most liveable cities in Central and Eastern Europe.

Warsaw, Poland

Estonia, with its capital Tallinn, is a country where you can become an e-citizen and leading the way in digital services!

Estonia is the first country to offer e-Residency, a government-issued digital ID available to anyone in the world (more here :

Tallinn, Estonia

You speak only English? Why not Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands. A place very friendly to foreigners where almost everyone speaks English.

Amsterdam has 176 different nationalities, which makes it one of the most diverse cities in the world in terms of nationality. Information found here

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Maybe you prefer a little bit more sun, so go Portugal! learn Portuguese and you’ll be speaking the world’s sixth most spoken language. Your future you will thank you for that!

Portugal is one of the oldest countries in EuropeHaving the same defined borders since 1249, almost 800 years ago. The name Portugal first appears in 868, during the Reconquista over the Muslims.

You love this places? Why not create a study abroad project to go there. Start it on

Study Hospitality & Management in the USA

Please share this info if you know someone who can be interested!

One of our registered school, located in the USA, is looking for students in #hospitality for this fall.
It’s for an MBA, some experience is required but their program sounds great.
Their students have training in 4&5 five star hotels, you can go either at #LosAngeles or #SanDiego!
Of course, it’s a program in a major destination like the USA and for an MBA so it’s demand a certain budget too. (The average annual cost of tuition fees to study in the US estimated at $33,215)

View of Los Angeles

View of San Diego

If you’re interested in becoming a successful manager in the Hospitality business, it’s time to create your #studyabroad project!
Go, go, go to

Learn more about the Hospitality Business in the USA

The U.S. travel and tourism industry generated nearly $1.6 trillion in economic output in 2015, supporting 7.6 million U.S. jobs. Travel and tourism exports accounted for 11 percent of all U.S. exports and nearly a third (33 percent) of all U.S. services exports, positioning travel and tourism as the nation’s largest services export. One out of every 18 Americans is employed, either directly or indirectly, in a travel or tourism-related industry. In 2015, U.S. travel and tourism output represented 2.6 percent of gross domestic product.
(extract from

While the majority of activity in the industry is domestic, expenditures by international visitors in the United States totaled $246.2 billion in 2015, yielding a $97.9 billion trade surplus for the year. According to U.S. Department of Commerce projections, international travel to the United States should grow by 3 percent annually through 2021. The United States leads the world in international travel and tourism exports and ranks second in terms of total visitation.

How to study in the USA

Foreign students seeking to study in the United States for any length of time must gain admission to an educational institution certified by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) and be approved for a nonimmigrant visa. U.S. immigration law stipulates the following visa categories for international students and exchange visitors

  • F-1 visas for full-time students at academic institutions (colleges, universities, or high schools) or in language training programs;
  • M-1 visas for full-time students at vocational or other nonacademic institutions;
  • F-3 and M-3 visas for nationals of Canada and Mexico who commute to the United States for full- or part-time study at academic institutions (F-3) or vocational or other nonacademic institutions (M-3); and
  • J-1 visas for exchange program participants. (Note: university or college students engaged in certain scholarship or exchange programs comprise only 1 of 14 J-1 categories; the others include physicians participating in graduate-level training, summer work-travel students, visiting professors and research scholars, and au pairs.)

Read more here:

Don’t forget to test your skills in English with a certification language test, read our article about them

Welcome to the AUIA International Summer School

Welcome to the AUIA International Summer School

Do you remember when I told you about Summer Schools? Well, now YOU can join one.

Indeed, the AUIA International Summer School just joined us so let me tell you about it.


AUIA International Summer School is a professional platform collaborating with universities, providing quality summer credit program in English. Established in 2011, AUIA currently works with National Taiwan University of Science and Technology (NTUST) in Taipei, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) in Seoul.

The students can follow many different courses at Taipei such as an introduction to biology, financial accounting, public speaking, college writing or even film and film theory. In Seoul, you’ll be able to learn the consumer’s behaviors, introduction to philosophy, psychology or religion.


The fees are really low for a Summer program so learn more about them at


So are you interested? Because if you are, you should definitely tell us about your study abroad wish by clicking here. This way, the School will be able to notice you 😉


-Emilie, Community Manager


Studying abroad : The foreign language issue

Studying abroad : The foreign language issue

Language certificate levels

Hello it’s Bruno again.

Do you want to study abroad?  You probably already know all the potential obstacles that can stand in your way. One question you certainly asked yourself is “Am I fluent enough to follow the courses in a foreign country?” Or “Is my French good enough to study in Paris?”. Or maybe “Is my English good enough to study in England?”

Getting yourself prepared for that should be on top of your list. Why? You could learn a lot about the language by living in the country. But chance is the recruiter of the university also needs to answer that question, which is part of the greater question all schools need to answer: “Can this student follow our courses?”

This is where language certificates come in handy. They will prove that you are good enough. Some universities set high requirements but no worries, schools will never ask you to be as good as a native speaker.

Especially if you are fresh from high school.

Language levels to understand language certificates

After we have introduced language levels, it will be easier for me to tell you about language certificates. I will use them as a guideline to compare the different tests, based on the difficulty level or to interpret test scores. In the following articles you will be able to tell which test is more difficult or which tests match your level.

Indeed, some organizations choose to provide a different test for each language level. However, others provide a test that encompasses multiple levels and interpret your level based on the score you get. Hopefully, it will help you choose the certificate that suits you best.

The CEFR and the reference levels

What would be good is an international standard for language levels. This would make it possible to compare a Chinese student’s level in English to a German student’s level in Spanish.To accomplish this, the interpretation of level should be based on objective and factual parameters.

Well, good news, such a tool already exists. We know it as “reference levels” and is a part of a document called the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or  CEFR. The Council of Europe published the first version in 2001 (However it is not the same thing as the European Council, the Council of Europe is not related to the European Union)

Please visit their website if you want to know more about the CEFR, they have much more to offer than just reference levels. Especially if you want to be a language teacher.

Description of reference levels

The six common reference levels are :

  1. A1 : Breakthrough or beginner
  2. A2 : Waystage or elementary
  3. B1 : Threshold or intermediate
  4. B2 : Vantage or upper intermediate
  5. C1 : Effective operational proficiency or advanced
  6. C2 : Mastery or proficiency

They come from three major levels: A: Basic, B: Independent, and C: Proficient.

B2 theoretically corresponds to the expected level at end of high school, before entering university or college, and C2 to the level at the end of university for language specialists.

If you want to understand the levels precisely, you can find reference grids on the website.
They describe all levels in terms of what students can do.
However, there is no level for native users, who are in another league, and learners are not expected to reach this level at the end of their studies (become bilingual).
What is handy here is that all language certificate results correspond to a reference level.

The major skills

The CEFR also takes into account six major linguistic skills :

  1. listening,
  2. reading,
  3. speaking,
  4. writing,
  5. speaking in interaction (dialogue)
  6. writing in interaction (messaging).*
  • this is a new one

Students get a level for each skills, the overall level being the lowest skill level.

There are more skills but the language certificates will not assess so many. They usually assess the four major skills (read, write, listen, speak).

Alternatives to the CEFR levels

There is also the GSE (Global Scale of English) which is more precise than the CEFR levels using a range from 10 to 90 and is only used for English language (As the name implies). It is not as widely known though.

The right choice

One thing to keep in mind is that you are not aiming to get a CEFR level but a certificate recognized by your university.  So before deciding to choose such or such certificate, make sure to get the documentation from the school that interests you and check what certificate they accept for enrollment.

Come read our series of articles about English language certificates

Study Architecture

Study Architecture

It’s always nice to look at your profiles because I can see some really interesting projects. Today, I’m going to talk to you about architecture studies because I saw that a lot of you want to study in this field so this might help you in some way.


Being an architect

Architecture consists in designing and engineering large structures and buildings. Many students think that architecture only consists in Art and, yes, it does consist in arts but not only! It’s also necessary to have a strong interest in sciences. Creating a new building for example combines an aesthetic sense and mathematical proficiency as the building will have to be reliable and safe to use. Social sciences and psychology are also necessary because architects want people to feel at ease and be in a better environment than they used to so they do they best to offer that to people.

An architect is granted many different roles and is able to plan, to take care of the budget, to negotiate with contractors, to make sure the site is safe, to know the materials needed, to ensure the quality of work…


The different careers

Many architects decide to work on their own or find partners to work with but it’s not rare to see architects work for a single company and thus earn a fixed salary. During your studies you will be able to specialize and by doing so, you will essentially work on the field you specialised in: will it be interior architecture? Architectural engineering? Or another interesting field? There is a wide range of choices.

What I find to be the greatest career in architecture is landscape architecture. Wouldn’t it be nice to design a botanical garden or even natural parks?

There are even careers that don’t have a direct link with architecture but that you are able to follow when you have a degree in architecture such as spatial design, graphic design, construction or even set design (that I told you about here)


Architecture Studies

There are different ways to become an architect but I’m going to tell you about the most common ways of becoming one.

You can get a bachelor degree in architecture. Also called B.Arch., it is a professional degree awarded to students who complete the five-year course. It is also possible to get a Master. In some countries like France, you have to complete five years of studies (and not less) if you want to become an architect.

So I guess I can say it’s only for people who want to do long studies and are not scared to work hard as studying architecture involves a lot of work but it will probably enable you to get a nice income once you get a job.


You want to study architecture too? Then tell us about your study abroad project on HigherEdMe and get the chance to be contacted by worldwide Universities and Schools offering Architecture degrees!

-Emilie, Community Manager